11 February 2007

blech. where to start...

Still at hospital, no sign of leaving anytime soon.
For those playing along at home.. Sprout's birthday is on Wednesday.. you know, Valentine's day. She's going to be 12. Most likely, she is also going to still be here.. at the hospital.

I didn't get a chance to update anything yesterday, because yesterday was busier than hell. Thursday night, Sprout puked up her GI tube around 4am. When the resident came by, she said they were going to have to restart it in order to finish cleaning out her GI tract and the associated impaction/ blocking. Then the hosp. pediatrician for the day came around and told me we were NOT going to do that.. but instead were going to start Sprout on solid food and see if she barfed. If so, then we were going to do an xray.

I'm beginning to lose patience with the doctors. Where the hell is ours at? At some point will I see the same face on a day to day basis?

Sprout ate 2 teeny bird bites of a grilled cheese sandwich, and had 2-3 sips of tomato soup. Then she went to sleep. Dinner rolled around and Sprout ate half a cup of yogurt and a lunchable. (the little square kind). Two hours later, she and I were both wearing that, the lunch, her pills (which she ended up vomiting up three times- the fourth time i was able to get the anti-seizure meds to stay down) and some yummy yellow stomach acid-sludge.

The attending that came Saturday am.. asked me about Sprou
t's stools.. I said everything coming out- which isnt much- is water with poo flakes. She said "Good that means we've reached the end of her cleansing." I almost took her head off. NO, NO WE HAVE NOT REACHED THE END!! Only one wee stool has come out.. and that was on thursday! The water is going around and not actually taking anything with it.

I snapped. I started throwing a fit. We don't have A doctor. We have a bunch of residents and whatever attending is in charge that day. I started asking what it was going to take to get a GI consult because so far nothing was working, Sprout is still puking every time you wave solid food at her... and we are (were) on day eleven of this crap. Saturday btw more puking every time food was pointed at her... I told them I was putting her back on clear liquids.

I got my GI consult. We went for Xrays. Bottom half is cleaned out. The upper portion is not, however its soft and appears to be moving on its way. The doctor spent a considerable amount of time taking a history and asking questions. He scheduled us for an ultrasound of her abdomen and its organ contents.

The ultrasound was this morning and Sprout was a trooper. I just met with the GI guy about the results. There is good news and bad news.

The good news: Sprout has "sludge" in her gall bladder, combined with small gall stones. We're going to begin treating them with medication. There is something clearly wrong in the world when that is the "good" news.

The bad news: this, like the impaction, is a "secondary" problem. things that we found while looking for THE problem, that ARE problems.. they just aren't the ones we are looking for.

I just got off the phone with my mom. Who is bringing me more supplies from home. Mmm conditioner. But most importantly, she is bringing me the head room mom book. Im going to have to call and start delegating the duties for Sprout's school Valentine's day party. Right now, its looking like we won't be there. And I sure as hell can't make 90 cupcakes and treatbags by Tuesday morning.

At this particular moment, I'm not even concerned with getting better soon. I'd like them to just frickin' figure out what the hell is wrong with her.

I do not function well at all, when I have no idea what the damn problem is in the first place.

Sprout's big worry..
how the hell do you have a happy birthday in a hospital.
i need to start working on making that happen too.


ps
more thanks to everyone for the well wishes.. and jaime and diane and sara and dante for bringing me lunch, snacks, and g-string panties from the clearance rack (funny, very funny).

No comments: