05 October 2006

Secret Pal 9 Questionaire

What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Targhee! (that’s Montana pride right there), alpaca, wool, merino. Rowan, mountain colors, trekking and Lisa Souza. I'm also beginning to be a big fan of KnitPicks.

What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

Anything scratchy and unflexible. I am not cute when I am itching.

  1. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I keep my needles in an old oatmeal container.


3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

Two years knitting and spinning. Crocheting for three years continuously- but my Grammy taught me to crochet decades ago. I just took a break from it and started coming back to craftiness a few years ago. I’d call myself intermediate.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have two! An Amazon Wishlist, and one of yarn/knitting stuffs.


5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)

I love spicy and sweet scents. "Light floral" isn't really my speed. Burts Bees Milk and Honey lotion is about the most divine smell in skin care. Warm vanilla sugar. Yum. This time of year is the best to find things that are “fall” smelling.. apple cider, pumpkin spice candles.. rawr.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

sour! I love sour things... like lemon and any of those "sour" candies. And, I feel chocolate is only useful when wrapped around peanut butter or caramel. Mmm caramel.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I spin on a drop spindle, and have dyed my own rovings. I like to make hand bound books and block prints.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?

I listen to music. A lot. Hardcore, Indie, largely non- mainstream. I think Steve Albini is a god among mortals. Big Black and Shellac are definitely high on my list. Pleasure Forever and Queens of the Stoneage. Afghan Whigs, Mark Lanegan. I tend to tell people I like “dirty, hedonistic death rock” and “psycho stalker love songs”. I don’t care much for country, unless it pre-mid 70s. I also enjoy learning/ experiencing new music.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Pinks, oranges, Blues, purples, cranberry reds, jewel tones? I can see even the most obnoxious colours as fun accent/ accessories. Ex- I mainly wear black, grey and denim. BUT bright pumpkin orange and hot pink are two of my favorite accent colours. However, yellow and I do not agree with each other on much.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Me and the Sprout! Pets, lots! One rat, three cats and a pup!


11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

I wear super long >7’ scarves and hats in winter. I’m more of a glove girl than a mitten girl, and I don’t wear ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Lately it seems all I am making are knucks and socks.

13. What are you knitting right now?

Presently I have one pair of knucks on needles (and two pair awaiting “finishing”) a stripey cashmere/alpaca scarf, a dishcloth, and I just cast on Cascading Leaves for my Soctoberfest project.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

I should hope so! I make them for friends and family all the time!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Yes! I think each of them can be useful in their own right. My favorites are my Birch Brittany-s. Depending on the stickiness of yarn I’m using, I go back and forth between them and metal. My glass namaste’s were the best at cotton. As for dircs vs. straights, it depends on the project, mostly straights since that’s what I have. I tell myself I’m going to learn magic loop on circs, but I havn’t quite gotten there yet.


16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

I own neither a winder nor swift.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

Four months.

18. What is your favorite holiday?

Halloween, yom kippur and rosh hashana

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Godzilla! Garden gnomes! (I have thirteen) Smooshed pennies! Cavaleras (Mexican day of the dead skulls/ skeletons). Bats. (of the mammal variety) and rocks. I love funky, native rocks and bring them home from every place I travel.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I don’t have any subscriptions, but I tend to pick up vogue knitting. As for the rest, I have a whole slew of them, and I’ve got books on the Amazon list, and yarn/needles and patterns on my crafty bit list.(as seen in item #4)

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

I want to learn the two socks at a time via double knitting. Magic loop and two at a time toe up are also on my agenda. You know, when I can get around to it.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I had my trial by fire this summer in socks. My blog follows my progression. I went from swearing I’d never make a sock “I could buy one cheaper- It would take too long- No patience- tiny needles” I had every excuse. Then, I got roped into the trek-along-knit along by a friend and spent three months creating a toe up, thigh high socks as my very first pair. Now, I’m mildly sock obsessed.

Because this information is potentially traumatic, I’m going to preface it with. I’m sorry. I’m 6’2” tall. My feets, are not wee. *takes deep breath* My shoe size is. *ahem* 11.5 (us) I bet you can now see why I *heart* toe ups. If ya really want to know, I’ll take a measurement and get back to you. (I have no idea where my tape is at the moment)

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)

March 20. Yep, Pisces/ Aries cusp, Gemini moon, Gemini rising. I’m pretty sure that all means that I can’t help but be half-crazy ;)

No comments: